Free Marvels now.

Free Marvels now.

Monday, July 3, 2023

X-com: enemy begins!


As promised, I started working on the X-Com series.


While waiting for a very special delivery of figures from China, which are needed to custom my X-Com squad, I started modelling three classic alien villains from the game.

I'm trying to do my best to have at least:

one Sectoid...


... at least one Thin Man...

and last but not least....  a fascinating Floater...



Those survivors that follow my blog since the beginning... they know I'm not a good teller... I prefer to post images of my progress, and eventually to reply any welcome comment from your side:


See... the old style of mine, sort of a brand: a plastic cup with water, some green milliput and a thootpick! 😇
That's all I need to sculpt!

Ops! You probably noticed The Spot, from Marvel Comics, guarding the area of work... yeah yeah he's there only to remind me that I am a 1/24 modeler ...and he is suggesting me the right needed proportions...



Giving some form to the buddies.
I prefer to work in the same time the three of them, so that while milliput is drying one figure I am able to continue to work on another one...


Starting from scratch cut is much longer and the beginning is really frustrating. 
It is much more easier to custom a base (suitable and choosen carefully!), it takes just some milliput to model the base and give the peculiar details and later to paint according the figure you wish to have. But in this case I preferred to start from scratch the three characters.
I consider this more rewarding and the final result makes me prouder.


After Green Milliput dried, I could refine some detail...


I always prefer to model arms and legs separately from the body.
This is because it is not easy to model the arms and the legs when they are connected to the body due to interference within the model itself and the tool I use (mainly a toothpick and my fingers...). 

At least, in the very beginning I'm doing this way. And this is my suggestion to those that like to start the same kind of modelling. 

Specially when we talk about 1/24 mm scale, that is quite little and difficult to manipulate compared to biggare scales.

After connecting the limbs to the body I only refine them, but I try to do the biggest part of them individually and before.


When the bodies start to have a sense... and they recall more or less the charcater's peculiarities, so that I can clearly recognize what the hell I'm doing... I start to add particulars to the bodies, and to better define the arms and legs...

To give (hopefully) a better idea, I made a patchwork here in order to show the progress for example of Thin Man:


Hope you liked this post. Please come soon to see the further progress.

Yours Skif. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment